Radio Oglaigh na h-Eireann
The Curragh 1962
On Monday 25th June 1962 at 1800 hrs the Minister of Defence, Mr. Gearoid Mac Pharthalain T.D. switched on and made the first transmission, from Radio Oglaigh Na h-Eireann, to the Irish troops serving with the U.N. forces in the Congo. Also present were the Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. John McKeown and Mr. Martin O’Dwyer from Telecommunications Ltd. The transmitter was set up by C/S. Paddy Treacy and Sgt. Barney O’Keeffe. The primary object of this Radio Station was to broadcast, on a daily basis, News, Sports and other items of interest.
Messrs Telecommunications Ltd. presented the Army with the 1.3 KWatt (crystal controlled) Transmitter. The “Rhombic” type aerial stood 70 ft. above the Curragh plains next to the Studio which was located in the annex of the Gymnasium, across from “The Baths”. The time of transmission was fixed each day for 17.30 hrs G.M.T. The frequency used was 17.544 mega cycles in the 16 Meter Band.
Each weekday Radio Eireann compiled a tape with the 1.30 p.m. News, Sports results, “The Kennedy’s of Castleross”. The weekend programme included a short Drama or news of local interest. The tape arrived on the 17.00 hrs bus from Dublin. One of the Signalmen from Base Workshops was waiting at Powell’s shop. Down to the Studio and ready for Transmission at 17.30 hrs.
At the time we got very little feed back from the Congo. Is there anybody out there who tuned into this station?